Alport Syndrome Foundation’s Virtual Walk Kicks Off June 17
Virtual walk participants can walk anytime, anywhere, and with anyone. There’s no cost to participate. Anyone who wants to take part can register here for the event.
After registration, participants should check out the Virtual Walker Guide prepared by the ASF. The fundraising goal is $50,000.
Following are some tips to get the most out of your participation:
- Set a goal: Decide how much you want to raise and plan accordingly.
- Customize your fundraising page: After registering for the walk, you’ll be assigned your own fundraising page. Inspire others by sharing a special message, a story, or a photo.
- Start sending emails: Copy and paste the link to your personal fundraising page into an email and sent it to your contacts through your personal email.
- Use social media: Share the link to your personal fundraising page through your social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or others, and ask your friends to share your message. This is a great way to get others to join while updating them on your progress.
- Double your funds with matching gifts: Many companies match donations made by employees. Contact your human resources representative and ask if your company would like to match your donation.
Alport syndrome is a rare genetic disorder that causes progressive kidney disease, vision problems, and loss of hearing. The disease leads to kidney failure for most boys by the time they reach their 20s. Alport also affects girls, but most see a later progression of the disease. There is currently no cure for this rare and devastating disease.
Remember, you can walk anytime and anywhere for the Virtual Walk fundraiser. The Alport Syndrome Foundation is encouraging everyone to participate on the weekend of June 17 to maximize the sense of community and boost awareness in the media. If this date doesn’t work for you, pick another one and invite friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors to join you.
There are many places to walk, such as a local park, around the block, at the beach, in the woods, even indoors on a treadmill. It’s your choice.
To participate, the ASF asks that you wear ASF gear, carry balloons, or call attention to the cause in any creative way you can come up with. The foundation also welcomes pictures of your Virtual Walk on its Facebook page when you’re finished, so everyone can see your efforts.
Those who raise $100 will receive a T-shirt after the event; raising $250 gets walkers a cap or a water bottle; and $500 gets an insulated cooler bag or duffel bag.
Those who have questions can send an email to [email protected] or call 480-800-3510.